Scary things you never think about...

OK, so Jed has been counseled and lectured by teachers to avoid sticking yourself with a needle because you can transmit diseases and such. Well its his first day, and after performing his first injection he accidentally stuck himself. In part its because he has never really practiced a whole lot and was unsure how to hold the need to refill the cartridge. He covered the tip with the cap but its spring loaded and when he depressed the spring to reload it, he accidentally let go, the cap flew off and he got stuck. His teachers say dentists also cut themselves a lot on their burs and drills because they are at chest level and if you reach across them to pick something up you often brush against them and get cut because they are really sharp! You would be surprised how easily it happens, and that you do not need hardly any pressure for it to break the skin with the needles either. So he had to go get blood work done and so did the patient. Any major diseases, like Hepatitis, will show up in six weeks, AIDS will show up in 3 months to a year. While this patient is on a Kidney transfer list, she has no known diseases and has had her blood regularly tested, I am creeped out. Why? well I could get them too. This brings to mind all those weird questions you never thought of. Like we kept thinking we might have another child, well not anytime soon now that he is at risk! And switching birth control when he has this happen. I just realized I will have to get checked out too when he accidentally sticks himself.

Moral of story: dentists get paid a lot because they are at risk and deal with blood and yucky stuff. Second moral: avoid sticking yourself. Third moral: marry a computer programmer or desk job person. They rarely have accidents at work. Fourth moral: do not ask me when we are having another child.
Category: 5 comments

5 comments:

Lindsay Blake said...

That's a lot of morals for one post. Well, I did marry a programmer, so I'm good there. I always thought that dentists were paid so well because they stuck their hands in people's mouths, I mean ick! If it was just the needles, we'd pay our nurses more. Anyway, I'm sure that this will be a concern while he's learning(and I'm sorry about that), but by the time he's practicing he'll have the hang of it. Also, unlike movies, the chance of transmitting anything through a needle stick is very low.

Jenny said...

that is what Jed says - only .004 percent. I will probably get bitten by a shark first, or hit by lightning, or get into a car wreck. Still, I was totally creeped out!

Lindsay Blake said...

Yeah, well being freaked out seems like it would be a perfectly normal response to me.

rozanny said...

I married a computer geek too... I'm the one with the actual dangers... I had to quit my job when I got pregnant because I worked with 16 different dangerous chemicals and I can't do my sculpting stuff when I'm pregnant either because the dust can cause cancer in the fetus.

Jenny said...

Wow - bummer. You have to give up your fun hobbies while pregnant. This is an odd thought. But a lady who had eight kids calculated that she was pregnant 6 years of her life! That seemed a lot. How are you guys?