So,
Emma has a catholic friend and they celebrate christmas differently. Let's explain a bit so you understand. See, Santa is based on a Saint and a legend of old man winter. Pagan verses religious. The US version of Santa with a sleigh and reindeer is only in the US and not really religious at all.
However, the real Santa (modified from Saint) Claus is based off this Saint Nicholas. A man who loved kids and gave them gifts and helped them remember God in their lives. Well he died and people loved him and what he did so they kept his tradition alive. The parents put cookies and small toys in their kids shoes on the feasting day. And the tradition spread over Europe, merged with the old man winter one, and came to US where he got all commercialized and lost all the religious traits he had. Notice how much like the pope he looks like in this picture?
So, this catholic friend believes in the religious version of Saint Nick, ahem, Santa Claus. And on December 6th, the real Santa Claus gives gifts of toys, candy, and sweets to good girls and boys.
Apparently Emma and her friend, along with other kids, have had many theological discussions during recess about this guy, guys... whatever. And now ruined my version of Santa. I never had known his real origins anyway. But, the evening of December 5th rolls around and Emma is very anxious that we don't have stockings out for him. Her friends all would. And when we tried to say he wouldn't come to our house, Oh the disappointment! And then we say we don't believe in him, and Ash chimes in "Well, I believe."
What could we do? We put up stockings and I put gifts in them I had planned for Christmas. And candy I had planned to eat.
But that got me to thinking about who this guy was. And then I read up on him and the Dutch Sinterklaas. And guess what - I like him better. Get rid of that old fat man who travels the world on Christmas eve and give me Saint Nick any day. Saint Nick gives gifts to celebrate the birth of Jesus. He was a good man, and maybe, its better to give Santa gifts earlier on in the month so you can really focus on Baby Jesus on Christmas day rather than Santa and his sleigh.... hmmm.... gotta think it over a bit. Either way, we just started new tradition at our house.

0 comments:
Post a Comment