Emma's Science Experiment

I talked Emma into doing a science experiment. It will be good for her. She has to do a board, or a display, or art work, or science experiment next year. So this is good practice. Gosh - I sound like a mom!

I found a cool book at the library that had 101 easy science experiments. Lifesaver! and inside was one on whether its better to brush your teeth in the morning or before you go to bed.

The gist of it is that bacteria grow on your teeth. Food particles feed the bacteria and saliva washes bacteria and food off. During the day you put food on your teeth and your saliva washes it off. At night you don't put food on your teeth but your saliva is almost zero. So no protecting saliva.

Both Jed and Emma voted for morning. I voted for night.

Then we sliced potatoes, rubbed cotton on our teeth in morning and at night. (they brushed right after ward). and let the bacteria grow. Here is what we found: (how did it end up being my experiment too?)

anyway....






Put the slices in a bag. Put the bags somewhere warm and dark and wait to see which ones get yucky. I am not a good test subject so I did not participate. Emma (E) Dad (D) Jake (K) and Ash (A) all were test subjects.

Four days later:

the control - see how it only has a bit of bacteria

Jed's in the morning

Jed's at night (and his potato is the worst - maybe he isn't that good of a brusher?)

Emma in the morning

Emma at night. Hers is bad too. More tooth brushing for those two.


So I was right! You really need to brush your teeth at night. And now to make the poster board.





Category: 0 comments

0 comments: