That changed. First Jake decided to see what happened to a toy when he put it on the running treadmill. I was walking briskly, singing my music a bit too loud, and he came up behind me and put a bouncing balloon on the end of the treadmill. It has a handle and is made of thick plastic for sitting and bouncing on.
First: when you buy a treadmill, make sure all the moving tread is surrounded by plastic. Ours has an exposed end that loops underneath.
Second: wear the emergency stop clip. It pulls when you get too far away from the console and triggers the machine to stop.
Third: face your treadmill toward the door so you cannot be snuck upon.
And the balloon was sucked under the treadmill, jake did not let go, so his hand was too. It ripped off big chunks of skin off three fingers. I heard a yelp as he fell after letting go. The treadmill then sucked up his pjs on his legs. I jumped off, grabbed Jake by his hand and pulled him free. Sadly his hurt hand (ouch!). Then as the machine started to make a funny sound, I turned off the power switch. Put Jake on a chair, looked at his feet, removed the balloon from underneath. And then went back to check on Jake, who showed me his injured hand.
I then asked him why he did something so stupid! He said he thought it would stop (what?????) So I explained he was being stupid to think a machine would stop. Lectured him for a bit, looked at the damage, and left to find first aid stuff.
Then I couldn't find Jake. Finally heard him crying in his room. He said he was sad because I called him stupid! Of all the things....
Anyway - looked up how to treat it and found out its better to let it scab over. But by then it really hurt him, started to swell, and there was no way he was going to let me wash it. So, I held him. Talked about being smart instead of stupid (sorry - I am not letting it go. He needs to know he was being stupid and its a choice!) And then watched movies with him till it was time to go. Hours of sobbing... even with tylanol. Poor kid.
This picture does not really show it but the whole side of one finger is missing the outer layer of skin. Then parts of it are skinless - that is muscle there in red. Its looks creepy and cool at the same time.
So then we picked up kids and went to the dentist office for cleanings. Jake wouldn't let them do hardly anything last time, but this time was a charmer. See how he hold his little had up.
I like how little he looks in the chair.
And he went like this anytime Jed or the hygenist walked by. Just in case they wanted in there.
So good dentist day, no cavities, all three kids got teeth cleaned and no one cried.
Then we got home to more drama. Poor Pinky, Emma's sparkly pink fish, was dead. So we had a funeral for it.
After making Emma face her fears of dead things to scoop it up, we put Pinky in the bowl and all stood by. Forgive my long ramblings but I want to preserve this moment forever.
Me: And we are here today to say good-bye to Pinky. Pinky was a good fish, and old fish, and finally died. He was a good fish for Emma. Who wants to say a few words about Pinky?
Ashton: Hmmm, Pinky was a beautiful fish, he swam a lot, and now LET'S FLUSH HIM!
Me: whoa! Wait a bit. Emma?
Emma: Pinky was my favorite fish. He was all sparkly and pink. I miss him but now he's dead.
Me: (saying in my head - I will not laugh, I will not laugh) Jakey, do you have anything to say for Pinky?
Jakey: Yeah..... Pinky is a good fish.
Me: Now let's remember that this is only Pinky's body. His fish spirit is in fishy heaven.
Ash: And he's swimming around being a fish, and maybe he's with other Pinky fishes.
Emma: He is with his brother now.
Me: His blue brother that died when we first got them?
Emma: No his pink one.
Me: Yes, Pinky is with his brother now, and lots of other pink fish, and he's happily swimming and being a fish. Now lets all say good-bye.
All: Goodbye!
Ashton reaches over to flush with a big smile on his face. And Emma said she can never use that toilet again.
1 comments:
That did turn out to be a busy time... Poor Jakey!
Post a Comment