Try and say that fast five times. Wow - has it been seven years? I feel so old but not really out of place. Sadly I am about 10 years older than most students, even the PhD ones. Still, I am so excited. I will get the chance to study from an almost old-school economics historian. She was there when the program was just ebbing. So much experience. The campus is old. Not like BYU where it is all sectioned off with neat walkways. It is more like the downtown area of New York City with the capital a half mile away, narrow one way roads, small shops, and old buildings mixed with modern ones. I like it! Today there was no homework but tomorrow it all begins. Since I want her on my committee in the future I have to be a model student.
And I tried a new recipe: Gnocchi
Rating: 5 stars, easy though takes time for boiling, and super yummy
Recipe:
2 cups mashed potatoes cooked this way: wash potatoes and put in boiling pot. Do not peel or slice. Boil till soft. About 30-40 minutes. Russetts work best for this. Read potato bag for kind. Some kinds don't boil well due to having more or less starch. Reds bake wonderful, boil not as well. Russetts don't have much flavor baked but boil easily. Golds are my favorite for flavor but not best in some recipes. Chippers fry so well! Anyway - russetts. Remove, save water in pan, and let potatoes cool till you can handle them. Cut open or peel. This is easy, peeling is so easy. The potato will be more moist but still firm this method. Use fork to mash. Spoon into big bowl.
Add one beaten egg and 3/4 cup flour and sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt. Sea salt gives best flavor. Mix by hand and be prepared to be sticky. Drizzle more flour till firm but just a bit sticky. Taste a bit to see if more salt is needed.
Divide into four balls. Roll each out like a snake and cut into 1/3 inch pieces. Dust with flour as needed. Reheat potato water till boiling, add a bit of salt to water. Drop gnocchi into pot. They sink at first. When they float they are done! That is about a minute so they cook super fast. Boil in batches and use slotted spoon to remove. Top with favorite white sauce or basil pesto while warm. Yum and yum!
I made half and saved the second half for another night. And that night is tonight.
1 comments:
Yay! Good luck and definitely have fun! I sure miss classes. All but the math ones actually...
Post a Comment