Nauvoo #3

Alright the last one! - maybe....


The trail of hope goes down Parley Street. It leads from the heart of Nauvoo to the place where the wagons crossed the river. On the day that Brigham Young set aside to leave the wagons lined up along this street and waited their turn to cross the water. Some went along the frozen portion.


You can walk along the way during the day but at night the performing missionaries do small vignettes. They act out a small part of real people who left. I love it.


Here a couple spoke of leaving, how sad to leave their home.


Along the way were sign you could read - they did not always fit the vignette.


Here two sisters sang a lovely hymn.


This was my favorite. I wish I had remembered more, but she spoke of how her mom prayed for days that they might have a way provided for them to go with the saints. The family did not have enough money to purchase supplies. At last it did happen, and this daughter recounts how all the hardships and challenges they would face did not dampen her mother's spirit for she had such joy that she could go west and stay with the saints.

This walk as so touching. One boy dressed as a girl to sneak in with a wagon going west. His guardians did not want him to go, another from a young teenage who talked about putting a poultice on a limping cow. Hoping and praying the cow would not hold them back. Selling homes for 130 dollars when they were worth 1400, and being glad for it. But all the time - looking forward to a chance to build a place where they could live in peace.


This sign marks where they were ferried across the river.


I wish I had my tripod to take a good picture in the dusk. I guess I sway and it makes it blurry.


Across the road is a small rotunda that has names of all the saints that died or went went. Right there is my family - Joseph Knight Sr.




Here we are at the temple. It really is lovely and I am told looks just like the original from the outside.



The Prophet's Last Ride


This statue is directly across from the temple and is depicting the Prophet's ride to Carthage. 

I have to admit to loving Nauvoo. It sure is a special place. I felt uplifted after hearing so many stories of faith. And grateful for saints who had faith, and followed a prophet west.

Category: 1 comments

1 comments:

rozanny said...

What a neat experience!