My sister made a comment after I told her about our trip. Something like: "You just had to go get some culture to last you a while." That surprised me. Do I really need some "culture" like people need breaks or cigarettes? Then I asked Jed. He looked at me with an odd look and slowly nodded his head. Then he said, You need stimulation or you get moody. I guess their right. I need art, museums, shows, culture, all the fun, mental stimulation or I get "witchy." I guess I am the type of person who has to always be learning or I go nuts.
Never thought that of myself - guess you really never really know yourself do you?
Anyway - GIANT BEAN TIME!
It sounds dumb, but its so cool!
There is a giant chrome kidney bean in downtown Chicago.
Well, our vacation started with a hotel room. My kids love hotels, want to stay at them forever, and watch all the good cable channels we don't have at home. Then we took the train into downtown Chicago. We have driven in three times - all of them were awful. So much traffic and parking is expensive. So we rode the train. It was so relaxing and Jakey loved it.
The downtown area is amazing. The buildings have old architecture mixed with new, I loved looking at them. My kids hated me for that. They have statues and art everywhere. The L (elevated train) runs overhead in metal arches and its creepy and invigorating at the same time.
We walked straight to the Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) and rode the elevator to the top to see the view. It used to be the tallest building in the world. The view is amazing but the best parts are the elevator ride. Its so fast and you have to keep popping your ears. It only takes a little over a minute and the cage rocks a lot from going so fast. The inside screen tells you when you are taller than the statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower.
Then at the top you can walk around and see the skyline. Gorgeous! And then you can scare yourself to death by standing in a glass box attached to the side of the building. The floor is glass and you hover over the ground. I even tricked Emma into going. If you sit down its ok but standing creates vertigo for me.
Then more fun. Walking around and seeing metal sculptures. Down the main street and seeing interesting stonework, going to the art institute to see Picasso Exhibit and then stopping for an authentic Chicago Style Pizza - a pizza pie!
Headless angle
cool big displays in park that blink and smile
Up close they are just lights
the Giant Bean!
Emma and the Bean
Me and the bean
Jed trying to lift the bean
Right underneath the bean
Jakey fell asleep in his stroller. Guess all the walking tuckered him out.
Skyline in the bean - I love this photo!
McPhearson street or whatever. Isn't that post neat!
Headless greek art
Chagall Window
Armor Exhibit - pretty interesting
The original American Gothic
A real tapestry
Picasso!
More Picasso
and Pie, pizza pie that is.
And then we went home and went to bed early. The end to a fabulous day.
1 comments:
That looks like so much fun!
Post a Comment