The minute you complain about something after holding it in for a long time is the minute it gets better!
Jed had a conference to go to in Chicago. He booked his hotel through the weekend so we could go. That did cause a fight because it was extra money. So he left mad, and that made me want to tell him we weren't coming... yada yada. I never follow through on those threats but this time I was really tempted to do so. He called and apologize when he first got there so I went anyway.
While there we did have a good talk in the hotel while the kids watched TV. Our kids think its the coolest to watch TV in a hotel - probably because they have all the kid channels. Anyway - he had us actually write down what we spend. At first he was like: That's not right. We don't spend that much, you must have added wrong. And then when he added it himself he understood what I have been saying. We go over our budget every month. So of course his bonus goes to pay off the credit card every two months because we overspend. And he agreed he was most of the problem there. (always nice to have someone say for once that you were right) but of course I can be better too.
So we made some goals, talked about what would make us happy, and what if I get into Chicago or Georgia. Working for Beaver Dam Dental was good for one thing - it made Jed realize its ok to buy a practice outright. He has been dragging his feet, going with a salary job because he is quite scared to just jump in. He said that he is pretty sure now that he doesn't want to wait 10 years to get full ownership (2 years working salaried and then gaining 10% per year). He feels much more comfortable taking the risk and buying his own practice sooner. Which means paying down loans sooner and all the wonderful benefits from just being the owner. So good things came from this trip. The best thing about trips - our kids sit in the back and watch TV and Jed and I sit up front and talk. Neither of us can read while in a car so there is nothing else to do.
Maybe its the start of good things. We will see. Jed agreed to stick to a budget and save his bonuses so we can move. And apply for a license in Georgia. And look into buying a practice. And getting with a lawyer, and .... the list is long but its a good start.
1 comments:
Yay!
Post a Comment